Monday, April 13, 2015

Noir at the Bar New York in words and pictures

Noir at the Bar has covered the globe like a fast-growing but benign fungus since I staged the first ones in Philadelphia back in 2008. Sunday night I had good fun at Noir at the Bar New York.

Suzanne Solomon
Joe Samuel Starnes
The venue was Shade in the West Village, the MC was Thomas Pluck, the food, the beer, and the company were good, and the readings were damn good. As a bonus, Henry Chang, that most amiable author of hard-hitting crime novels set in Chinatown, showed up even though he wasn't on the bill;  those New York crime writers have a cozy little community on their cozy little island.  Here's part of what happened (all photos by your humble blogkeeper):

Alex Segura, Todd Robinson
(One of these pictures does not depict a crime writer. Rather, it's a face I saw earlier in the day, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art,  but I thought it fit the evening's noir theme. It looks like a small-time hood who is beginning to worry his plan to rip off the boss and flee with the boss' woman may not go as well as he planned.)
Gerald So and his reflection. I call
this photo So and So.


Thomas Pluck, Jeff Soloway
Clare Gilliland Toohey. I wonder if she
likes this collection of stories
by Gil Brewer.
© Peter Rozovsky 2015

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great mirrored portraits!

April 13, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. Reflective surfaces are a photographer's friend

April 13, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

I would bet Ms. Toohey did not like that title, but I would imagine she loved that picture.

April 14, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You mean you think she prefers Harry Whittington or Charles Williams to Gil Brewer?

I have not heard from her. But I can say that the photo shows that red hair, bright lights, and well-placed mirrors are a fortunate combination. Besides, she once published a piece of my writing, so I am favorably disposed toward her.

April 14, 2015  
Blogger seana graham said...

Basically, I think she wouldn't be so keen on a book about redheads dying, easily or not.

April 14, 2015  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I've read a few stories in the collection, and I'm not sure I've across one about redheads. I'll let you know if one turns up. The women in his stories tend to have blond hair, with an occasional dark-haired woman in the bunch.

I shall investigate.

April 14, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home