Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Hanging out with Olvir Hump and Eyvind the Plagiarist

Just call me Kveldulf. Like that wise, stolid, capable patriarch of Egil's Saga (that's Egil himself, at right), I want to be capable of pissing a king off by my inscrutability and refusal to act.

I want to have a friend named Olvir Hump. And I want to live in a world populated by Audun the Uninspired, Finn the Squinter, Thorvald the Overbearing, Bjorn the Landowner, and Eyvind the Plagiarist. And it would be cool to have a son who, after being robbed by the hired guns of a grasping monarch, has the bluff good humor to remark that "It’s good to have a king to share your money with."

Click here for more Detectives Beyond Borders posts about the Icelandic sagas, the rootin'-tootinest collection of proto-crime, proto-Western stories in all the European canon.

© Peter Rozovsky 2014

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger seana graham said...

Well, Kveldulf, just look around the newsroom and I bet you will find that all those people are sitting right around you.

August 05, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And you can be Sigrid the Sarcastic.

I'll cleave them in twain with my spear and toss them back over my shoulder.

August 05, 2014  
Blogger seana graham said...

Or you could just edit them to death. Not quite as thrilling, I suppose.

August 05, 2014  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Einulf the Editor at your service. When he cuts a sentence, it stays cut.

August 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home