Sunday, April 08, 2012

Nykänen in my newspaper

My review of Harri Nykänen's novel Nights of Awe appears in Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer under the headline "A Finnish thriller stars a Jewish cop."

Click the link to find out why I call Nykänen
"part of the blinding ice storm of Nordic crime writing that has buffeted the world since Stieg Larsson died and went to publishing heaven"
and add that
"he stands out from the crowd for at least two reasons: his deadpan humor, and his thrilling ability to sustain narrative pace on little but routine details, personal interactions, and professional observations over the course of a police investigation."
© Peter Rozovsky 2012

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Off topic but I thought you might enjoy this paragraph from a story on page 1 of today's New York Times. I wonder if they need the analysts to talk about NBC's advertising revenues or to discover what NBC's parent company is:

The stakes are high because “Today,” as the No. 1 show, has dominated advertising sales on morning television — an advantage that has consistently confirmed the show’s status as the greatest profit center in network television, earning $250 million to $300 million a year for NBC, a unit of Comcast, analysts say.

April 08, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'd have removed the possibility of unintentional snickers by moving the Comcast information elsewhere. But then, I'm not a copy editor for the New York Times.

April 08, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Though this post and its comments may be more germane to the matter.

April 08, 2012  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Peter

Well if I had to pick a favourite line from Dog of the South (of which I have many) it might be:

"There were elegant trees [in the square] of the kind that architects like to sketch in front of their buildings."

April 09, 2012  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I don't always like yuk-it-up, 1960's-influenced, over-the-top humor, but that line captures very nicely what I think I'll like about Portis. It comes close to going over the top, but the acute observation salvages it. He's like John McPhee-meets-George-Carlin.

April 09, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home