Friday, August 19, 2011

When authors leave home

My third panel at Bouchercon 2011 will consist of three British and two American authors who set their mysteries abroad. This brings to mind some questions from the early days here at Detectives Beyond Borders, so I'll ask them again:  What are the advantages of writing about a country other than one's own? What are the disadvantages? What will a visitor or short-term resident see that a native might miss? And vice-versa?
***
Lisa Brackmann, R.J. ElloryAnne Zouroudi, David Hewson and Martin Limón will be part of “NEVER LET ME GO: PASSPORT TO MURDER,” with your humble blogkeeper as moderator, Saturday, Sept. 17, 1 p.m., at Bouchercon 2011.

© Peter Rozovsky 2011

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Hope you will have more to say about The Taint of Midas; it looks particularly interesting.

August 19, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'd love to take a month's leave from my job to concentrate on reading. But one must pay one's mortgage and serve the vital cause of a free press, so I can't.

(In fact, I have some Anne Zouroudi on the way.)

August 19, 2011  
Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Ouch! You sound like Sheridan Whiteside in The Man Who Came to Dinner: "Is there a man in the world who suffers as I do from the gross inadequacies of the human race?"

August 19, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I retain you as a commenter on this blog, madam, only because you are the sole support of your two-headed brother!

August 19, 2011  
Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Oh, Peter, how can one man possibly be as clever as you are?

And don't call me madam; I'm just one of the girls.

August 19, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

And now, will you all now leave quietly, or must I ask Miss Cutler to pass among you with a baseball bat?

August 19, 2011  
Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Hmm, did you ever have the feeling that you wanted to go, and still have the feeling that you wanted to stay?

August 19, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm growing afraid that I'll slip and break a leg when I leave work tonight.

August 20, 2011  
Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Gosh, I hope not! There isn't any ice outside, is there?! But should that event come to pass do we substitute the word Christmas and read in Time magazine: "Possibility: Bouchercon may be postponed this year"?

August 20, 2011  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Far from it. Given that the conference is a month earlier than usual this year and in St. Louis, we're far likelier to melt than to slip.

August 20, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home