Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Toronto: International crime-fiction capital

Always carry a camera that works. Had mine not conked out today, I'd have posted a picture of an even better subway placard than the one I wrote about yesterday. This one bore handsome blow-ups of the covers of Nemesis by Jo Nesbø, Revelation by C.J. Sansom, Kennedy's Brain by Henning Mankell and This Night's Foul Work by Fred Vargas. All four are part of Vintage Canada's World of Crime series, and the ad's tag line did my heart good: "The Best of International Crime Fiction."

Howard Shrier's novels are published under the same imprint, one reason I was proud to have him as a guest at tonight's Noir at the Bar: T.O. Style (that's not him in the photo at left) along with Sean Chercover. All of us were there at the invitation of novelist/TV writer John McFetridge, who brought along a lively but well-behaved gang of authors and other interesting folks.

I did my second stint as a Noir at the Bar moderator, after October's session with McFetridge and Declan Burke, and I am beginning to realize that I love asking questions. I'll follow with a fuller report once I get some sleep. Suffice it to say that Chercover and Shrier both honor the P.I. tradition and renew it.

Until I can borrow some pictures from my fellow attendees, this post offers a photo of me buying some international crime fiction on Sunday at Toronto's Sleuth of Baker Street. The beard is now gone. Sorry, Arlene.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

I've enjoyed the CJ Sansom series and now am waiting for _Revelation_ to become locally available.

Our mystery group is going to select the books for the next six months shortly. I was thinking of suggesting something by Jo Nesbo. I haven't read anything by Nesbo, so I was wondering which might be a good selection. Would the first in the series, whichever one that is, be a good one to recommend?

March 11, 2009  
Blogger marco said...

hmmm...seems to me the beard is attempting a comeback. Watch out!


v-word:foloics, follicle heroics.

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Brian O'Rourke said...

Long live the beard!

March 11, 2009  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

You cannot keep a good beard down.

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Fred, I've read the first two of Nesbo's novels to be translated into English: "The Devil's Star" and "The Redbreast." But that is out of series order, and if you plan to read both books, I recommend strongly that you read "The Redbreast" first. You'll find some of my Nesbo posts here.

I have a copy of "Revelation" at home and fairly high in the TBR pile.

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm afraid a Requiem Mass or a Mourner's Kaddish will have to be said for my beard.

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

When does a collection of facial hair become a beard?

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look at _Redbreast_.

By the way, I was just on HarperCollins doing a search on Nesbo. Two books are listed: _Redbreast_ and _Nemesis_.

Is _Nemesis_ the same work as _The Devil's Star_?

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

"Nemesis," published in English in 2008, and "The Redeemer," newly translated, are the third and fourth books in Nesbo's Harry Hole series to appear in English. In the order of their publication in the original Norwegian, they are the fourth and sixth in the series. "The Devil's Star" and "The Redbreast" are fifth and third.

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

Ok, thanks for the clarification. If I understand you, the order of publication in Norway is as follows:

1. not yet translated
2. not yet translated
3. Redbreast
4. Nemesis
5. The Devil's Star
6. The Redeemer

March 11, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

The Wikepedia article on Nesbo lists the books in a form that alleviates the confusion. You appear to have got it right the first time, which is more than I can say for myself.

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for the wikipedia link. It was very helpful. Unless an earlier work shows up, I will recommend _Redbreast_ to the group.

March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But how will we know it's you, Peter?

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Among other things, I can say without a wince of embarrassment that "The Redbreast" is a sprawling tale that spans eras. I hope you read and enjoy the book.

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Bookwitch, I'll be the guy without the beard.

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

I put it on reserve at the library.

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

There's lots to like about Nesbo. The two aspects that come to mind first are the touches of mischievous humor, and that Harry Hole is the most alcoholic protagonist in crime fiction.

I'll look forward to hearing what you and your group think.

March 12, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

Ok, will do.

March 13, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

The books offer much territory for discussion about the protagonist, Norwegian history and guilt, humor, even Harry Hole's entertaining but knowlegeable attitudes toward rock music,

March 13, 2009  
Blogger Fred said...

Thanks, I will keep those points in mind.

March 15, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home