Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Baltimore Drive-by, Part VII: Hell to the editor-in-chief

Nix Kauffman is on the run after robbing crime writers Seamus Blake and Fetch McCarver at gunpoint. Is that any way for a respectable ex-journalist to behave?

(Read all of "The Baltimore Drive-by" so far
here or here. And remember: This is fiction. Almost none of it really happened.)
=============================
The way he worked the room, I believed Obama might win this thing. He smiled, shook hands, talked with me and my colleagues. He put weak-kneed stargazers at ease, and he even charmed moderate Republicans. In ten minutes, he spent more time talking with the staff than the last five editors-in-chief had in the four years they'd served. He even joked about our old computers.

"Don't worry, senator," I said. "In a few months ...

[Read the rest of "Hell to the editor-in-chief" here.]

=============================
© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Linkmeister said...

Grins. Didn't Malcolm Gladwell get rich writing about events like this?

December 20, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Is this a tipping point? I guess it is. If I'm going to have a character robbing people at gunpoint, especially if those characters are based on two authors whose work I like, I'd better give the robber a good reason for doing it.

I will say that this segment is based more closely on reality than some of the previous five.

December 20, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I should clarify that: Obama did visit the newsroom where I work, but I was not there at the time. I did not hear about the visit until months later. I suppose that means it was based less closely on reality than the others.

January 06, 2009  
Blogger John McFetridge said...

"... the last five editors-in-chief had in the four years they'd served."

- that's a great line, but, "...the corner of his left eye twitched, the way it always did when he got angry or lied or had to make a decision." - that is just fantastic.

I really like the waythis is going.

January 06, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Much obliged! Your compliment is great encouragement to go on with this thing.

January 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home