Saturday, June 07, 2008

Make Forgotten Books a part of your life

I urge you to read Patti Abbott's Forgotten Books posts religiously. Each week she asks readers, writers and bloggers to post a short essay on their own blogs about a book that deserves to be better remembered. She then compiles lists of all the essays in a weekly summing up that is the only shopping list a serious crime-fiction fan will ever need. And it renews every week!

Why the excitement? Because the lists are a good idea, but also because I've used them. An author I had not heard of previously stuck in my mind from one of the lists. His name registered when I found an old copy of one of his novels at Philadelphia's own version of Aladdin's Cave, otherwise known as Port Richmond Books. I pulled it off the shelf, found a grabber within the first two pages, and bought the book. So, guarantee yourself a fistful of pleasant surprises every week, and don't forget to read Forgotten Books.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks Peter, and love that cover.

June 07, 2008  
Blogger Gary ("Old Dude") said...

I have currently, for better or worse, begun reading Ann Perry's works again, this time around the her "World War I" series, beginning with "No Graves As Yet". I enjoy the detail with which she describes both the settings, but her characters as well. Such attention to detail and rich use of words, brings her books to a keen vividness.

June 07, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You're welcome. Yours are the posts that will launch a thousand trips to secondhand bookshops.

That cover, decidedly of the book's time, is not the one of my edition. Mine bears a more sedate illustration of a bull.

June 07, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, gjg. All I know about her is that she's prolific, that's she's written at least one historical-crime series, and she had an interesting youth.

June 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hii friend..your blog was quite interesting and informative enough..and remembering a book & paying homage to the book is definitely a good idea...

June 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home